Set Goals to Motivate Your Team August 12, 2011Posted by escapewire in Uncategorized.
Most of us set goals in our personal lives. It keeps us motivated and each accomplishment gives us the drive to keep reaching further. We do this in our home life so why not do this in our work life too?Approximately 30% of our lives are spent at work. Some people are unfulfilled by this time. Many people do not feel that they are an active part of the company and let whatever comes into their inbox dictate how their time is spent. Setting goals gives people a sense of control and allows them to choose how they spend their day. They feel like an active member of the team as they have a say in creating goals and the part they will play in their completion. More than ever people work autonomously; people who work like this must be proactive about setting goals. Regardless of whether you work in a group or autonomously, here are a few tips that will help you start the process of goal setting.
- Set or Assess Goals Every 3-6 Months – Motivate employees and keep goals fresh by scheduling a meeting exclusively dedicated to setting goals.
- Write Down Your Goals – Physical documentation of your goals will help the group keep the focused on those goals.
- Aim High – A challenging goal once completed is sure to provide a great sense of accomplishment.
- Find a System to Measure Performance – Set a timeframe for the steps to be completed or skills that need to be learned for the goal to be reached.
- Celebrate Each Achievement –Acknowledging achievements boosts pride and motivation to tackle the next step. This is important if you work independently as well as in a team environment. Remember to always reward yourself.
- Schedule the Next Goal Setting Meeting – Keep goals fresh, new, and on the top of everyone’s agendas by thinking in advance and scheduling the next meeting.
Feeling pride in our work and feeling like we contribute is valuable to everyone. Setting and reaching goals reminds us of the important part we play in the larger goal.